I just wrote up this little Frequently Asked Question at work:
- You have Microsoft Office 2003 installed.
- You are working with Windows XP Professional as your Operating System.This is a setting that needs to be made/verified in your Windows settings.To set the documents to open in their appropriate application:
- Open My Computer on your Desktop.
- Choose the Tools menu item, then choose Folder Options….
- In the Folder Options popup window, choose the File Types tab.
- In the Registered File Types list box, choose the file extensions for the application file types you’re interested in verifying/changing (i.e. DOC for Word, XLS for Excel, PPT for PowerPoint, etc.). Once the proper file type is selected, click the Advanced button.
- In the Edit File Type pop-up window, uncheck the Browse in same window checkbox.
- Click the OK button in the Edit file Type pop-up window.
- Click the Close button in the Folder Options pop-up window.
So the flip side is that if you want the document to open up in IE, you check the Browse in same window checkbox.
Sometimes this setting does/does not work. I’m still working on that bit, but also waiting to hear from the users a bit more about the versions of Office/OS they’re working with.