OSX Lion, Parallels 6 Windows 7 SP1 and VMware View 3.1

Struggled a little with this combination of products:

Getting VMware View 3.1 running on Windows 7 SP1 in Parallels 6 on OSX Lion.

I was able to install the VMware View 3.1 client by connecting to the SSL View host at work, but when connecting to my desktops (after providing credentials), I got this error:

The View Connection Server authentication failed. The SSL initialization while connecting to server ‘https://(elided):443’ failed.

VMWare View Client SSL Error

I noodled around with the usual suspects for network, SSL and tunneling settings:

  • Firewall settings.
  • Network settings.
  • Antivirus settings.
  • Parallels general settings (esp. Network and security)

No successes.

Finally I tried to change the Parallels Tools and set the Network mode from Shared Network to Bridged Network -> Ethernet.

Here’s a relevant Parallels KB article (yes, the version is out of date).

Worked like a charm.

Maintenance and Hacking

I have been keeping this blog updated and so on, but not quickly enough – a script kiddie hacked this blog as well as my personal one. I’ve written extensively about the hack and my recovery of my blogs from it:

  • Details of Hack focuses on the actual details of the hack, including some e-mails exchanged with the hacker in question and some initial steps at remediation (both on my personal blog and this one).
  • Rebuilding covers the majority of the work I did to rebuild, recover and secure both of these blogs post-hack.
  • Recovered is just a sum-up. The fact that I added more stuff to Rebuilding, above, after posting Recovered should be of little consequence. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Only time will tell whether I have enough utz to keep updating this blog too as work provides me more information/insights/knowledge.

PortableApps, lag and my new Cruzer USB device

A couple of days ago, I had occasion to upgrade my older Cruzer USB 2 GB thumbdrive to a new 4 GB thumbdrive of the same brand.

I use my Portable Applications within a Truecrypt encrypted partition that lives on the drive, and performance for these apps dropped like a stone.

Turns out that they’d gotten deeply fragmented within the Truecrypt partition. Defragging made everything all better.