After finally managing the install and setup correctly in my own deployment last week, I just updated the article on this blog with the newest information I needed to completely the install properly and make everything ship-shape (or close enough for jazz).
Since I fully expect next month to be a slow month, I should be able to catch up a little.
- I am installing the Release bits of Microsoft Office 2007. I don’t know if I’ve already plugged CCleaner but I’m doing so again. I needed it because Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh didn’t uninstall entirely cleanly. An add-on I’d installed after the original install had to be manually removed, but it didn’t show up in my Add/Remove Programs, so CCleaner was instrumental in my being able to find an uninstall the bugger so I could go ahead with the install of the Release version.
- It turns out that the extended problems I had properly creating the Shared Service Provider portion of MOSS 2007 were due to two factors:
- I had neglected to complete the MOSS 2007 Beta 2 TR install properly. I’ll go back to that article and add the details in, but instead of running the configuration wizard right away, I should instead have uninstalled Windows Workflow Framework from Add/Remove Programs, installed the .NET 3.0 Framework RC bits and then run the connfiguration wizard.
- I wasn’t thinking about permissions and rights properly so was creating the app pool for the Web Application that was to support the SSP with Network Service as the ID, which of course has a different PID/GUID on each machine so wasn’t mapping to the Network Service ID on the database server (2-server setup). What I should have done was create the app pool with a domain account ID that had sufficient perms on both boxes and on the SQL Server itself. It never ceases to amaze me how my mind will just drop stuff. This stuff holds for SharePoint 2003 too and I know that cold, but I just didn’t make the leap to apply it to my knowledge of MOSS 2007. Duh.
- So I need to blog permissions articles that have been popping up on Technet/MSDN lately.
- I also need to update on my/my company’s progress in fixing (or trying to fix) the Full Text Search in our production deployment of SharePoint 2003. Client still not interested in calling Microsoft Product Support Services. Now it looks like it might have to do with the Cluster configuration and the FTDATA folder. If it isn’t that, not only am I, but my company is tapped out and it is totally time to stop playing political games and djust call Microsoft PSS.
- There are some links I found to training materials that I’ll also blog (I’ve been doing research on behalf of my client’s Training department).
- I’ll be working on customizing my company’s portal soon, and doing a little mini-app with a guy based in the Richmond office, so we’ll see how well the development/customization process on MOSS 2007 collaborates. More updates there, hopefully by next week.
Anyway, been terribly busy, too busy, perhaps, to blog, but I’ll try to return to it, because taking notes is important to me, and putting it here means I can find it whereever I have Net access, and maybe it’ll help out other folks too.
From modonovan’s SharePoint and Stuff, comes a gem of a blog post about SharePoint Services and App Pool Account Permissions.
It’s from last year, but quite relevant (to my current troubles, anyway).